24 November 2010

If the sun refused to shine...

That's the start of a Led Zeppelin song called "Thank You." Good one to have in my head these days.

Today I was told about an awesome article in the Wall Street Journal about gratitude (LINK). I generally hate the themed articles around Thanksgiving or Valentine's Day or whatever but this one is about psychology studies and makes a point that I like: gratitude is better for you year-round than you realize.

I was talking with a coworker about Harry Potter today and some other coworkers thought we were a little extreme having an intense discussion about the virtue of the Cuaron-directed "Prisoner of Azkhaban" versus the Yates films (not bothering to go there with the Columbus films)...My retort was about how great it is to get involved with a set of books that are all, essentially, about hope. And that there's no such thing as having too much of that around.

Makes me wonder - are we all born with hope? Is it something that gets drained out of us through disappointments, or if we're lucky, reinforced by having a modicum of stability? I sort of feel like I was just born hopeful but what if it was something my mom whispered in my ear once when I was four? Makes me wonder how to pass that on to my son. My mom started out hopeful and idealistic but by the time I was out of elementary school that was pretty much gone. (Reminds me I should really write a "mom" tab like I did for my father...soon.)

Certainly another thing on my list - have to be it to pass it on, right?

So here's to gratitude and hope, which to me are closely related in world-view and perspective, and for this Thanksgiving season and all seasons may we be able to feel it deeply enough to meaningfully pass it on to someone we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment